More metal was added
More painting was done. Some parts have to be over painted to bring about more color contrast and deepness.
More gems were added: triangle shaped onyx, square mother of pearl, carnelian and lapis lazuli. Maybe I will remove some of them again later, if I think I overdid the whole thing as usual. Maybe the whole painting has to be cleared up soon. This stage I reach in most of my paintings, and sometimes they get over painted in big parts then. I am not sure up to now what I will do this time. Maybe it won`t be necessary to over paint so much, because I did the painting after a drawing and not as usual out of nothing.
Up to now about 100 pieces of metal were used and 42 natural and glass gems.
This is the music that inspired me to the metal painting
I intended to combine metalwork with painting for a long time, and when I heard this, I started. The metallic sound of the Sitar and the soft sound of the Lyre go together with the painting`s attributes, I think.
More metal was added. Parts of the metals were underlayed with a thin layer of polymer clay (fimo) to make deeper embossing (repoussee) possible (for example upper right side and bottom middle). Parts of metal were cut apart. New parts were embossed, nailed or glued on. The aluminum part in the middle was moved towards the brass part. The amber stone was set onto this aluminum part.
Details were over painted to bring about more connection between the parts of the painting and to effect a movement going from one side to another without breaks (part below the aluminum upper right side).
More aluminum, brass and copper, partly embossed, was added. Acrylic gold and silver paint was used additionally. The copper and brass parts have various thickness. Most are 38 gauge (comparable a few layers of household aluminum foil). Some are 26 gauge (about a thin slice of cheese or sausage).
some of the original shapes were over painted. The painting starts to become different from the drawing now. More coloring was done. Silver metallic color was added. The amber stone was placed between the metals temporary.
Vidridian green (chrome oxide green) and Carbazole violet were added. Other colors I used up to now: Ultramarine blue, Cobalt blue, Cerulean blue, Phtalocyanine blue, Primary blue (cyan), Prussian blue (almost nothing), Titanium white, Mars black. Additionally to these acrylic colors I used black ink pens in the beginning for the outlines.
the pieces of metal and stones are attached permanently. More violet and ultramarine blue (lapis lazuli blue) was used. The amber stone in the middle was exchanged. Now there`s a lapis lazuli.
Now I started a painting on wood. I try to combine painting and metal the first time.
I was now inspired by the music of Dominic Johnson and Michael Levy from England, who recorded a piece with Sitar, Lyre, violin and tablas together.
Download and short excerpt available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/dominikjmusic